Monday, January 23, 2012

Jess's Garlic Chicken Tortellini Soup

Submitted by Jessica Romine Kent

Chicken breasts cut into 1/2 in cubes (however many your family eats)
chicken broth or stock- I usually fill my pot at least half way
1/2 to 1 cup onion chopped
1 tablespoon ginger
1 (or more... I use 2 for my family of 5) package frozen tortellini (refrige thawed)
Garlic (fresh minced & garlic powder).... I really LOVE garlic
Yummy crusty bread or bread bowls
Large soup pot- coat with cooking spray,preheat to medium-high and cook chicken with fresh minched garlic (atleast 2 cloves-more if you are like me) for about 3 to 5 minutes. (browning chicken just a bit and cooking garlic tell tender) Then add broth/stock, onion, ginger and garlic powder to taste.
Reduce heat to low-medium. I love to let this sit and simmer all day. Really brings the garlic flavor in and makes it totally homemade (slave over a stove all day) tasting.
About 15 minutes before serving, crank up heat to bring to boil. Add tortellini,bring back to boil, reduce heat & cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Then lower heat and let sit warming (not even really a simmer) to allow the taste to soak into the tortellini. I usually am tasting here and adding more garlic but thats just me. This is when I am baking the bread or preparing the bread bowls.
When I cook it this way it always has that "day after" taste that we all love so much. You know soup is always better the day after.
If in a hurry- You can cook this quick and is almost as good but gonna be better the next day.
Instead of reducing heat and letting sit to simmer. Bring to boil, then add tortellini, boil again, reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or so until tortellini is tender and serve. This is probably under a half hour cook time tops.
I love this soup with some crusty bread or served in a bread boil- YUM :) I love more garlic then my family so usually add a bit of garlic salt to my own boil just for good measure... You could call this garlic soup with chicken and tortellini but it can totally be changed to your tastes!

No comments:

Post a Comment