Monday, January 23, 2012

Lisa's Beef Stew

Submitted by Lisa Mariani Hackney

olive oil
about 1/2 c minced garlic
1 lg sweet onion
approx 4lbs of stew meat
5-6 large potatoes
approx 1/2 bag of baby carrots cut in half
A1 sauce about 1/4 cup
Worcestershire sauce about 1/2 c
salt and pepper to taste


most of the above you can add or subtract do to taste.  We like our stew a bit spicy.

take a large pot and put a little olive oil in the bottom. Toss in your minced garlic and chopped onion. Just cook until it is tender. While that is cooking go through stew meat and cut very large pieces in half. Toss meat in and season with salt and pepper. Cook meat until browned. At this point I have meat juice but usually no fat so I leave the juice. Add your A1 and Worcestershire sauce. Turn to low and cover  leaving lid partially cracked.  I let cook for about 3 hours stirring occasionally. At the end of the 3 hours your meat will be really tender! I peel my potatoes but you don't have to. Chop and toss in potatoes and carrots. This is where I usually taste my meat and broth. If you need to tweak the seasonings or sauces this is a good place. Stir, turn heat up to about medium and replace lid cracked. Let cook about an hour stirring occasionally.

*** really good with a nice loaf of bread***

No comments:

Post a Comment